Flowers seem like the perfect gift for a birthday, but there are times when a bouquet may not be the right gift. If you have no idea what to give your loved one instead of flowers, feel free to check out this article
You may be thinking about a gift you want to give a loved one for their birthday. However, remember that the gift should show that you thought about the birthday person and that you took his or her personal preferences into consideration when choosing the gift. Before you choose flowers, think about other options that may prove to be a more appropriate gift and bring pleasure to the recipient.
Wine is an excellent choice for a gift regardless of the situation (only if the person drinks alcohol, of course). If you are planning to give someone wine for their birthday, but you don’t know what kind of alcohol this person likes, you can give them a 3-wine set that includes red, white and rosé. You can also choose 2 wines, one sweet and one dry, so you are sure to hit the birthday person’s tastes. Also consider including a birthday greeting card with the wine!
Gift basket or box
If you don’t have a birthday gift idea, you can give your loved one a collection of trinkets placed in a gift basket or box for their birthday. A personalized gift set is also a great idea for a mail order gift if you don’t have the ability to give it in person.
Today, you can easily find and order entire pre-made gifts from online stores. No matter what is in them (it can be sweets, cosmetics sets, ornaments), you can order a special service to deliver them to the right person. If, on the other hand, you want to create a gift basket or box yourself, follow these tips:
- Choose a theme: think about what to put in the gift basket and what the recipient’s preferences are. This will help you choose decorations and items to fill the basket
- Place gifts in the container: these can include organic natural cosmetics, chocolates and sweets, tools (such as for firing and wood carving).
- Add filler: Fill the basket or box with shredded paper, tissue paper, pieces of fabric to highlight the gift items and emphasize the overall gift composition. Choose materials that will match the theme of the gift.
- Arrange items in a basket or box in an elegant manner. Place larger items in the back and smaller items in the front.
If the person who is celebrating a birthday soon likes plants, you can give them a green gift that will last much longer than a bouquet of flowers. With such a great selection of plants available in florists and stores, you’re sure to find something for the gift recipient.
If your loved one lives in a small, cozy apartment, they’ll be happy with a small potted flower. If you know that your friend has a larger space, you can opt for a larger plant. Either way, live plants are a great alternative to a bouquet. Consider giving species such as:
- aloe vera – a practical, hardy plant,
- succulents – are small and easy to transport,
- horsetail – it is very hardy and multi-seasonal, as well as beautiful.
Make sure the gift comes with care instructions and choose plants that don’t require too much commitment when it comes to caring for them
Album or photo book
There’s something special about looking through real photos, especially in this day and age when most photographs are stored digitally. You can gift a loved one a photo book or personalized photo album for their birthday. This is also a great option for a mail order gift.
If you have more time, you can get creative and create a photo book in the form of a notebook – it will be both a beautiful keepsake and a functional object that your friend can use every day. A photo collection is also sure to be a romantic alternative to flowers if you’re planning a gift for a loved one. No matter how you compile your photos, it will make a great gift for:
- a friend you’ve traveled with and have lots of photos with,
- a significant other or loved one with whom you are celebrating a relationship anniversary,
- a parent, grandparent or other family member,
- a loved one who has recently moved out of your town.
Look through the photos that depict you together with your loved one and choose the ones that seem best for a gift. In the case of family members celebrating an anniversary, gather their photos from throughout their lives. You can also use photos from social media if you think they would make a good addition to the album.
Photo by Pixabay